I saw a tutorial for a quilt using the Irish Chain pattern and I fell in love. I already had two jelly rolls of printed fabric that I have been wanting to use and this pattern would be perfect for it.
So I agonised over what Kona Cotton solids to buy and came up with Kona Cotton Bone and Kona Cotton Stone. They will co-ordinate perfectly with the California Girl by Fig Tree Quilts and the French General jelly roll that I can't remember the name of.
I plan to use my grandmother's top sheets for a backing so I'll have to do some calculations so I don't make the quilt too large.
Well, I ordered the solid fabric from Pink Chalk at the beginning of August while I was still on vacation. I figured I could get a crack at it before I started work again.
No such luck. I waited by my mailbox night and day (not really but I would have if I felt it would be socially acceptable) but there was no mail slip.
Since it was shipped as a letter I couldn't track it either so I started to worry that it had been lost over the Atlantic or that someone else had gotten it or that it was somehow stuck in customs.
Finally yesterday I ran into our mailman (mailperson?) and she handed me a reminder pick-up slip for a big letter.
I drove over to the store right away and fetched it - certain I would have to pay customs as well, but no. The girl at the pick-up desk handed me a gloriously fat mailbag with my fabric! The original slip had gotten lost and the parcel had been sitting on a shelf at my grocery store for 2 weeks!
But now I had it. And all was well with the world.
Too bad I have now started loads of other projects that I should finish first ... I paired the fabric with its companion jelly roll and put them on my desk as an incentive to get going on that to-do list.
The things I have to get to first are:
- My corset needs to have boning inserted. Working on that. I put in the last busk piece last night after crawling all over the floor looking for the half that had mysteriously gone missing.
- Basting my huge quilt that I got batting for yesterday.
- I have to decide if I want to attach the Dresden plates I made from that co-ordinating fabric on the back of the quilt I'm about to baste. I should do that before sticking pins in the thing. Not sure how to go about it.
- Make a second Carpenter Star for Isabel now that Sofia claimed the first one. (This is not important to start before I get to the new quilt. We'll see.)