I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Sofia's Coat


We've had a tough weekend with tummy rumbles and back pains so I haven't had time to properly show this off. Heck, I can't even remember what day I finished it.

I know I spoke with my aunt on Wednesday evening and she put it in my head to add some ribbed cuffs to the lining to make the coat a bit more wind proof.


It was a bit fiddly, but not anything difficult. I skipped the part in the directions about shortening the lining sleeve by 1" and instead I sewed up the side seam and cut off the bottom 2". Then I sandwiched the cuff between the sleeve and the cut off piece and used a stretch/overlock stitch on my regular sewing machine to stitch the whole thing together.


Finally I followed all directions and sewed the rest of the coat together. I also threw in a pair of matching mittens from the new Oliver + S-book Little Things To Sew.

I haven't gotten around to adding the snaps to the coat - Sofia snatched the coat up and haven't let me have it since.

I am considering putting in a temporary zipper because she's not very keen on the buttons. I have a thick, orange zipper at home that would match the orange elements in the fleece, so I'll have to think about how to add it now - after the coat is done.

Sofia's thrilled though and is wearing it to daycare today. I hope it keeps her warm enough.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...