I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Friday, December 6, 2013

Saffron

Another thing that is quintessentially Christmas to me is saffron. I rarely use it at other times of year. The usual way of using it is in sweet rolls where you shape the dough into s-shapes and decorate with raisins.


I plan to do that too but yesterday as the storm Sven raged outside I made almond paste filled saffron rolls.


DSC_0101


I made a standard sweet roll dough. The recipe was printed on the back of the flour bag. I let it rise for 40 minutes and then divided it in two and rolled it out.


I just love that colour! So wonderful.


DSC_0104


I grated a stick of almond paste and mixed it with butter and vanilla sugar then rolled it all up into a long snake. I did take a picture with the almond paste mixture on but it just looked the same as before I spread it on.


DSC_0105


Cut the snake into 20 or so pieces an put them in little paper cups (I can’t remember the name for that).


DSC_0115


Let them rise for another 40 minutes then brush them with an egg wash and sprinkle pearl sugar on them. We had run out of eggs so I had to use milk instead of an egg wash, but it turned out just as well.


DSC_0106


This is pearl sugar. Coarse grains of sugar that is mostly used to sprinkle over sweet rolls.


DSC_0116


I got 43 rolls from this recipe. The end pieces that turn out a bit smaller than the rest I put two and two in the same liner.


You get used to the smell of it when you’re at home, but I anticipate our house will smell really good today when I get back after having been away for a few hours.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...