I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Monday, December 9, 2013

Lucia Cats – Yule Boars

DSC_0140


I made saffron rolls last week which were very tasty but the traditional use for saffron at Christmas is in “Lussebullar“.


Traditionally made for Lucia which always fall on Dec 13th to celebrate the martyr Lucia who wore a crown with candles on her head to keep her hands free to carry food and drink to the poor and to persecuted Christians.


I can’t really tell you why Scandinavia celebrated an Italian saint but we have done it this way for about 100 years now. The Lucia day has been a day of celebrations for much longer than that though so it may be a case of hostile take over of a pagan tradition.


DSC_0143


The s-shaped bun is the traditional shape but I did a few variations. In the upper picture you can see a Lilly, a swaddled child and a Yule carriage (the double bun with the spirals going outward).


Sadly (?) the saffron make the buns go stale rather quickly so you either eat them all at once or freeze them and take out only what you “need”.


Straight out of the oven they are so good I could inhale the lot.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...