I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Choir

In Sweden every city with a bit of a population has a Folkets Park (People's Park). It is a remnant from the days when workers fought for labour rights and the parks became a place for gathering and entertainment.

Malmö's Folkets Park is close to where we lived when we had no kids, and later when we had only one.
We've spend many hours there at the playground and some at the Tivoli but I have never been to the big dance hall, Moriskan.

Moriskan in the Park at night

Built in 1902 it is a fixture in the park with its characteristic domes.

Wednesday evening it was filled with four classes of second graders. Two classes from Isabel's school and two from a school across the city.

They had practised songs with their teachers all semester and now they were to perform to parents and siblings, all classes together for the first time.

It wasn't a Christmas concert at all. All songs but two were written by the choir master. The last two by Mikael Wiehe, a singer/songwriter well known in Sweden.

It was so fun to see them all. Some completely disinterested and just aching to have it done and others singing with such fervour they looked like "proper" performers.

I hope Isabel gets a chance to do this again. I was reminded of my choir days and the concerts I participated in. It was always such fun.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...