I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

An Unexpected Journey

I am reading The Hobbit to Isabel in the evenings. It's been a long journey, not only for Bilbo and his dwarf friends but for us as well. I think we started reading in October and only last night did we get to the chapter where the dwarves find out the dragon is slain.

Last week the dwarves had finally arrived at The Lonely Mountain, after a long and arduous journey and were coaxing Bilbo to sneak into the dragon's den. The conversation between Bilbo and the dragon that followed is a very suspenseful piece of writing and I did my very best to read it with feeling and dramatic flair.

Isabel enjoyed the reading (at least that's what she told me) but Sofia was less impressed.

All tuckered out

She fell asleep just as Smaug teased Bilbo with what he had figured out about him and his friends and where they came from. I guess we will have to read it again to her in a few year's time.

The dialogue got an added depth because in my head I could hear the lines being said by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch who are cast to play Bilbo and Smaug respectively. Their voices are very clear in my mind since they also star as Watson and Sherlock in the recent BBC production of Sherlock. I have seen both series 1 and 2 several times and know the material very well.

It was a fun read for us all.

But Sofia didn't think so.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...