I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

House of Pestilence

Well, this has been one of the crappier weeks.

I started it off on Thursday the week before feeling a bit under the weather. I have had a cough all winter and it just won't budge so even though I had a bit to get done I took Thursday off as a sickday to see if a day's rest couldn't help me along. Friday I still felt off but I went to the office to finish up the last items on my to-do-list that couldn't wait until I got back from my vacation.

Week 8 is traditionally the Winter Sport Holiday for school kids in our part of Sweden and I had taken the time off to be with the girls at home and maybe do some fun stuffs.

The girls spent Saturday - Monday at the in-law's and had a blast. We took advantage of them being away by going to IKEA to get a new book case for our kitchen china. It turned out really well.

We visited IKEA today

Anyway - Monday rolled along and Rickard said he felt a little weird. He was coughing a lot and he felt feverish but he went to work anyway. I stayed home and had a relaxing morning before going to fetch the girls at noon.
When Rickard came home that night he was definitely not well. He had a high fever and he coughed the whole evening and night.

I felt bad about transferring my cold to him but there wasn't much I could do about it. He was scheduled to visit a customer 300 km away on the Tuesday and it was an important visit so despite a fever of 39.3 C he got in the car at 5 am to drive the 300 km twice in one day.

He threw in the towel at 3 pm and drove home and came to Malmö at 6:30 pm and did little else than take a shower and then crashing in bed. Only to get up at the usual time the next day because he had to give a class at the office that had been scheduled since way back and there were people from India flying in to take the class specifically. And of course no back up.

During the night I had started feeling ill as well and on Wednesday when he dragged his feet to work I stayed home with the girls again but this time I had a fever too. Both girls got to play on the computer and watch movies to their hearts' content since I wasn't good for much besides lying on the sofa under a thick blanket and help them change the movie.

Thursday I still had a high fever but I had a doctor's appointment for me and a nurse's visit for Sofia to take care of - and no car. So my Mum came in to lend me her car and to take care of the girls while I was away.
It was also my birthday which made me feel extra miserable for being sick. As soon as I came back from the doctor she took off to minimize the risk of catching it.

Turns out what Rickard and I both had was most likely the flu. Apparently there was a surge in reported flu cases this week all over Sweden. I was so happy it wasn't a stomach flu though. That would have sucked on so many levels.

Both girls are still well and are supposed to go back to school/daycare tomorrow. Rickard plans to stay home and I still have a slight fever and can't decide if I should go back to work and risk passing it on to my co-workers or if I should just stay home as well. I think I'll give my boss a ring tomorrow morning - I have to come in late anyway since we have a meeting with Isabel's teacher in the morning.

The one fun point this week though was that we got a new little Princess in Sweden on Thursday who thus shares my birthday. Our Crown Princess Victoria gave birth to her first child, a girl on the 23rd. So I can look forward to celebrating my birthday on a Flag day in the future - maybe not just yet though since she's only second in the succession line.
They named her H.R.H. Princess Estelle Silvia Ewa Mary of Sweden. She will be called Estelle. It's not a common Swedish name at all and not a traditional Royal name either so of course it has sparked a lot of debate and controversy already. As such things tend to do.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...