I have moved

You can mostly find me here these days instead. I'll do cross-posting for a while longer though.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Locking serged seam ends

I sometimes visit the forums on Oliver + S’s site. In fact it is where I met my circle of awesome sewing friends from around the world.


When I visited today someone asked how you lock the thread after you serge a seam and I replied with my method but then figured I should just post it here. With pictures.


I have to admit I don’t always do it this way. Ain’t no body got time for that. If a seam is going to be sewn over with another seam I pretty much always just cut the tail from the serger off.


But sometimes you really need to lock it in and this is how I usually do it.


Leave a long tail after you finished serging. Just let it run for a couple of inches before you cut the tail off with the serger’s knife. Thread the tail on a blunt needle with a big eye, I usually call it a darning needle but YMMV.


IMG_5085


Weave the tail back on itself on the wrong side of the seam allowance for an inch or so. Pull the needle through and off the tail. Make sure you don’t pull too hard on the tail or the corner will look wonky.


IMG_5086


Cut it off and you are done.


IMG_5088


When you sew over this you’ll lock the tail in even more securely.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...